Welcome To Thunderbird Preparatory Academy
- Click here to enroll your child at Thunderbird Prep for the 2014-2015 school year
- The date of the lottery is April 4, 2014
TPA Board Meetings
- TPA board meetings will be held on the fourth Thursday of Every month at 7:00 pm at our future school building located at 17609 Old Statesville Road Cornelius, NC 28031.
- Our next board meeting and community meeting will be held Feb 27 at 6:00 PM and our community meeting will begin at 7:00 PM (after the board meeting)
- Board Meeting Minutes: January 23, 2014
Community Meeting Schedule
- Future Community Meetings: 7:00-8:30 on Thursday Nights Feb 27 and Mar 13 located at 17609 Old Statesville Road Cornelius, NC 28031.
Parent Committee Sign-Up Now Live!
- Click on the sign-up genius link below to sign up for one or more of our parent committees – thank you!
- We are proud to announce that Thunderbird Preparatory Academy received its official notification as a NC Charter School! Thanks to all who were involved in getting our school to this milestone!
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy (Thunderbird) will be a tuition-free North Carolina public charter school serving students in grades K-8.
Thunderbird has submitted its charter application to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Our charter application was considered by the North Carolina State Board of Education and approved for an August 2014 opening.
For the 2014-2015 school year, applications will be accepted in grade levels K-4. Thereafter, Grades 5-8 will be added incrementally one grade per year. Thunderbird anticipates amending its charter application so that its students will eventually obtain Grade 9-12 high school classes.
What is a Charter School?
Charter schools are tuition-free public schools of choice, but each charter school is governed independently by 501c3 non-profit organizations. They are typically funded at 80% of what traditional public schools receive. Many charter schools function very efficiently on a “less is more” philosophy. Charter schools typically focus on their own mix of proven academic strategies that best reach their student base. Charter schools also have their own mix of academic philosophies of what students they can serve best via academic remediation, high intellect, Socratic, Basic School, college preparation and STEM approaches to name just a few academic approaches in the Charlotte area. Unlike traditional public schools, every charter school must demonstrate success, or it will lose its charter.